52 Winks of Sleep in 2020!
The Benjamin, a luxury boutique hotel in midtown Manhattan and home to Geoffrey Zakarian’s The National Bar & Dining Rooms, has long been known for its sleep-focused offerings, from working with in-house Sleep Experts & a Sleep Concierge team, to a lengthy pillow menu; here sleep is core, not coincidence. Productivity and self-care stem from a good night’s sleep, & The Benjamin is the premiere luxury hotel offering an extensive sleep program to allow guests’ productivity. Our sleep expert, Dr. Rebecca Robbins has compiled sleep tips, or what we call “sleep winks” to guide us through 2020.
In January, we focused on soothing bedtime routine winks which included:
- Start a relaxing bedtime routine before slipping into the sheets. This is part of a healthy sleep schedule.
- What are you grateful for? Individuals who practice gratitude regularly (e.g., journaling) get better sleep. Tonight, before bed, focus on one thing you are grateful for.
- Do you find your mind active before bed? Try writing down your worries on a notecard or pad near your bed.
- Light candles, play soft music, avoid electronics to prepare the mind for sleep.
Moving into February, a consistent sleep schedule was key and winks to help guide you to maintain that schedule included:
- Wake up within 1 hour of your normal time all 7 days of the week.
- Keep your sleep consistent. Find a sleep schedule you can keep Monday to Monday (without varying by 1 hour).
- Sleeping in, although often viewed as a luxury, can throw your body into jet lag-like symptoms during the subsequent day (e.g., sluggishness) and the subsequent night (e.g., sleep fragmentation).
- Up late for a holiday party, deadline, or other obligation? Get up as close to your normal wake up time as possible and make up the lost sleep with a powernap in the afternoon.
- Do you hit the snooze bar? Unfortunately, this will result in fragmented sleep so ditch this habit and instead find the latest possible time you can wake up and commit to getting out of bed at that time.
March is here & is Sleep Awareness Month, where your bedroom environment is key to getting through day light savings. Sleep winks in March include:
- Design your bedroom to be a sanctuary to sleep!
- Optimal bedroom design is dark, quiet, and cool.
- Invest in the best pillows and mattress your budget can afford, these are your best ‘tools’ for a great night sleep.
- Oust electronics from the bedroom. These devices often have lights, which can disrupt your sleep, but many are simply a temptation (e.g., having a television in the bedroom
- Do you find light keeps you from falling asleep? Consider reaching for an eye masks to block outside light.
Stay tuned for our next blog post to highlight April tips! April will focus on blue light & the important science behind how this light effects our sleep.
Winks Program | New York City | The Benjamin Hotel